Massage Burke | Massage Fairfax | Massage Northern Virginia | Custom Massage Northern VA
Best Treatment Strategies for a Low Back Strain
A low back strain can strike when you least expect it. For example, you’re feeling good during your workday and then something suddenly happens when you quickly stand up from your seat.
Although a low back strain can be both painful and uncomfortable, there are a variety of treatment strategies you can use to seek relief. Consider the following:
· Ice therapy: Not only can this reduce pain, but it can also eliminate swelling. Do this for 20 minutes at a time, every three to four hours.
· Apply heat: After three days of icing, switch over to heat therapy. You can use a heating pad and/or soak in a hot bathtub. Either way, it can help loosen the muscles and promote blood flow.
· Get support: For example, you may want to wear a supportive belt until your injury heals. This can be uncomfortable at first, but you’ll get used to it after a day or so.
· Opt for physical therapy: It’s not always necessary, but physical therapy can help you build strength in your back as to avoid the same type of injury in the future.
· Get a massage: You don’t want to do this too soon, but once you’re on the road to recovery it can help you relax and speed up the recovery process.
The next time you’re dealing with a low back strain, experiment with one or more of these treatment strategies. You’re likely to find something that brings relief.
Jennifer Ferdinand, owner of Serendipity Wellness Studio in Burke, VA, has been practicing massage therapy and esthetics since 2006. She is nationally certified through NCBTMB, and licensed in Virginia for both Massage Therapy and Esthetics
Please login first in order for you to submit comments