Massage Burke | Massage Fairfax | Massage Northern Virginia | Custom Massage Northern VA
Take These Steps After Suffering an Abrasion
Maybe you fell on the asphalt when washing your car. Or maybe you had a run-in with a shovel while working in your garden. Regardless of the cause, an abrasion requires immediate attention.
Here are five things you can do to put yourself on the right path to a fast and full recovery:
· Rinse and clean the abrasion: Use warm water and mild soap to remove any debris from the abrasion itself, as well as the surrounding area.
· Apply antibiotic ointment: Not only does this speed up the healing process, but it also cuts back on the risk of an infection.
· Cover the abrasion: Depending on the size, you may be able to use a Band-Aid. If that’s not possible, a larger bandage will do the job.
· Change the dressing as necessary: Don’t assume you can leave the same dressing on the abrasion until it heals. Instead, check it once a day and change as necessary.
· Watch for signs of infection: If you have any reason to believe you’re dealing with an infection, seek out medical treatment. You don’t want to let this linger, as it can cause additional trouble.
As your activity level picks up during the spring and summer months, don’t be surprised if you suffer an abrasion or two. These steps will help you heal as quickly as possible.
Jennifer Ferdinand, owner of Serendipity Wellness Studio in Burke, VA, has been practicing massage therapy and esthetics since 2006. She is nationally certified through NCBTMB, and licensed in Virginia for both Massage Therapy and Esthetics.
Please login first in order for you to submit comments