Massage Burke | Massage Fairfax | Massage Northern Virginia | Custom Massage Northern VA
What’s the Best Treatment for Runner’s Knee?
Runner’s knee is most often associated with overuse, however, this ailment can also be the result of direct trauma, misaligned bones, weak thigh muscles, and problems with your feet.
If you have reason to believe you’re suffering from runner’s knee, don’t hesitate to receive a professional diagnosis. Only then will you know what you’re up against, which will allow you to implement the right treatment plan.
The best treatment for runner’s knee includes:
· Extended rest: Try to avoid anything that makes the injury worse, such as running or standing for too long.
· Ice: Icing your knee for 20 minutes at a time, three times per day, can help reduce swelling and pain.
· Elevate your leg: When sitting or lying down, do your best to elevate your leg. This can help to quickly reduce swelling.
· Stretch: Increased flexibility and strength, especially in your quadriceps, can speed up healing and help you prevent the same type of injury in the future.
· Physical therapy: Consult with your doctor about whether physical therapy can help speed up your recovery, improve strength and flexibility, and prevent future trouble.
Although runner’s knee can be painful, there are many treatment techniques you can use to your advantage. With the right approach, it won’t be long before you’re feeling better and back on your feet.
Jennifer Ferdinand, owner of Serendipity Wellness Studio in Burke, VA, has been practicing massage therapy and esthetics since 2006. She is nationally certified through NCBTMB, and licensed in Virginia for both Massage Therapy and Esthetics.
Please login first in order for you to submit comments